How to improve the quality of a computer video
Among the solutions for improve the quality of a video, there are programs to install on your computer, which allow you to apply improvements both to the audio, reducing background noise, and to the video, with various effects and filters: here is a list of those that I think are most interesting.
Among the best programs for editing and editing videos there is Avidemux. It is a free software agolable for Windows, macOS and Linux that also allows you to apply enhancements to videos using tools to adjust colors, brightness, sharpness and much more.
To download Avidemux on your computer, connected to the official website of the program, click on the item Download and seleziona l'opzione FossHub related to the operating system you use. Completed the download of the installation files, if you have a PC Windows, double-click the file avidemux_ [version] .exe, press the pulsating Run and click on the buttons Next e I agree, dopodiché pigia on pulsnte Next three consecutive times and click the button install to start the installation.
I invented a Mac, double-click the file Avidemux_ [version] .dmg, drag Avidemux in the folder Applications macOS and open the latter, then right-click on the program icon and select the item apri from the menu that appears to start it for the first time, avoiding macOS restrictions for applications from non-certified developers (subsequently there will be no need to do this).
Now, click on the icon of folder present at the top, select the video to edit and press the button Open to import it into Avidemux. Then select the item Video present in the top menu and click on the option filters from the menu that appears (if the menu is not clickable, make sure that the option is not selected in the side menus Copy). In the new window that opens, choose one of the agolable tools dedicated to enhancing the movie: Colors to adjust contrast, enhance colors, manage saturation and hue; Noise to reduce video noise and soften the image and Sharpness to manage the sharpness of the movie.
If, on the other he, you want to make improvements to the audio of the movie, click on the items Audio and filters present at the top e, in the new open window, choose whether to change the frame rate or whether to apply a delay to the audio track.
After editing the video, select the codecs and the format in which to save it using the drop-down menus under the items Output video, Output audio e Container output present in the sidebar on the left, then click on the icon floppy disk at the top left and presses the button Save as to export the edited video. To learn more about how the software works, I leave you to my guide on how to use Avidemux.
iMovie is the Apple video editing program that is installed “as steard” on all the devices of the bitten apple. In addition to being a valid software for video editing even for less experienced users, it allows you to take advantage of numerous tools to improve the video and audio quality of your movies.
To enhance a video with iMovie, start the program (if it is no longer present on your computer, you can download it from the Mac App Store), select the option Create new and click on the entry Footage from the menu that appears. Now, import the video you want to improve by clicking on the icon Arrow pointing downwards, select the file of your interest and pressing the button Import selected.
Then select the imported video by clicking on its preview image, and presses the button + (or drag it) to add it to the iMovie timeline. To make improvements to the video in question, click on it (a yellow outline to indicate its selection) and click on one of the tools visible above the player at the top right.
- Color balance (a black and white circle): Enhance movie colors using features such as color matching, white balance, and skin tone balance. Instead, by selecting the option Automatic automatically adjusts the clip colors.
- Color correction (the color palette): a further tool to improve the video quality by manually adjusting the colors of the movie.
- Stabilization (camera): is the function to reduce video shaking and which allows you to stabilize shaky movies, reducing their vibration to a minimum.
- Equalizer (vertical lines): Enhances movie sound with the option to reduce background noise. It also allows you to make improvements with the feature Equizer which allows you to improve voices and music, to amplify or decrease the bass and to reduce background noise.
In addition to the functions just mentioned, with iMovie you can also rotate videos and set "movements" to clips with the function clipping (The two L's crossed), you can increase and decrease the speed of the movies by acting on the tool Speed (the icon ofclock) and apply audio filters and effects with the function Video and audio effects (i three overlapping circles).
After making the changes you are interested in and improving the video, click the button Share (the icon of an arrow inside a square) present at the top right, select the item Fillet e, in the new open window, presses the buttons NEXT e Save to export the video. To learn more about how the program works, you can read my guide on how to use iMovie.
You should know that iMovie is also agolable as an application for iPhone / iPad but with limited functionality compared to the computer version. In fact, through the iMovie app it is not possible to improve the audio quality of the movie and it is not possible to stabilize the video and adjust its colors.
Adobe Premiere Pro (Windows / macOS)
Adobe Premiere Pro is one of the most famous and used professional video editing programs. Among its many features, it also allows you to adjust the colors of your movies, reduce flickering and provides other useful tools to improve the quality of your videos. It is agolable for Windows and macOS and is included in the suite Creative Cloud starting from 24,39 / month. New users can test it for 7 days by downloading the trial version of Premiere Pro.
To download the trial version of Adobe Premiere Pro, connect to the Adobe website and click on the item Free trial version present in the top menu to start the download. Completed the download, if you have a PC Windows, double-click the file Premiere_Pro_Set-Up.exe, press the pulsating Run and wait for the installation to complete. If, on the other he, you use a Mac, april il dmg package downloaded, double-click the file Premiere Pro Installer and inserted the Password of your user account on macOS to start the installation.
In the new open window, regardless of the operating system you use, press the button Log in e, if you have one, enter your account login credentials, otherwise click on the button Subscribe, fill out the registration form with your personal data and press the button Registration.
After logging into your account, click on one of the items between Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced to indicate your level of competence in Adobe Premiere Pro and presses the button Continue, then click the buttons Continue e Start installing and wait for the installation to reach 100%.
Now you are ready to improve the quality of your videos with Adobe Premiere Pro. Start the software and press the button Ignore to access the Premiere Pro workspace, then click on the entry Fillet at the top and select the options Project and New to start a new project. Click on the item again Fillet, select the option Import from the menu that appears and choose the video to import and improve.
If the imported video is shaking and you want to stabilize it, drag the video to the Adobe Premiere Pro timeline, click the entry Video effects on the left and select the option Distortion. Then identify the effect Stabilizes alteration and drag it over the video to enhance to start aAnalisi in background with which the software analyzes the movie and makes improvements by eliminating the shaking.
If, on the other he, you want to change the colors of the video, click on the item Color present at the top and make the changes you want using the tools in the sidebar that appears on the right. Once the changes are complete, select the item Fillet in the top menu and click on the options Export and Multimedia files, then select the export format and press the button Export to save the edited video.
Other programs to improve the quality of a video
In addition to the software that I have indicated to you in the previous paragraphs, you must know that there are so many programs to improve the quality of a video that you are spoiled for choice. Here is another list that might be right for you.
- Windows Movie Maker (Windows): is the free video editing program produced by Microsoft included in the free Windows Essentials application package (which has now been discontinued). Among its strengths, there is also the possibility to improve the quality of the videos by reducing the shaking with the function Video stabilization. To learn more, I leave you to my guides on how to download Movie Maker and how to use Movie Maker.
- VLC (Windows / macOS / Linux): it is one of the most used and famous players of audio and video files. Among its countless functions, it also allows you to make changes to videos in order to improve both audio and video quality: the ideal solution for those who want to improve a movie in a non-permanent way. To know more, you can read my guide on how to download VLC.
- Sony VEGAS (Windows): is one of the best video editing programs on Windows PC. In order to improve the quality of your movies, it allows you to reduce flicker, improve colors and stabilize the video. In addition, dozens and dozens of effects are agolable to reduce contrast, increase brightness and sharpness. Sony Vegas has a cost starting from $ 199 with the ability to test its operation for 15 days by downloading the free trial version. You can find more information by reading my guide on how to download Sony VEGAS Pro.
- Final Cut Pro (macOS): it is among the best solutions to edit a video on Mac. In addition to allowing all types of editing and applying numerous effects to movies, with the function Balance color it allows you to optimize the colors of your videos and consequently increase their quality. It is agolable in a free 30-day trial version, after which it costs € 329,99 and allows you to increase its functionality by installing additional plugins.
How to improve the quality of an online video
If you prefer the services that allow you to improve the quality of an online video, there are also solutions of this kind. Here are some of the ones that I think are the most interesting.
If the video you want to improve is intended for uploading to YouTube, you should know that the famous Google video sharing and viewing platform allows you to make improvements to movies directly through a special editor.
To improve a video on YouTube, linked to the main page of the Google platform, click on the button Log in present at the top right and select theaccount google associated with your YouTube channel. Now, click on the icon of camera present at the top, select the option Upload video from the menu that appears and proceed with uploading your video. In this regard, my guide on how to post a video on YouTube may be useful.
If, on the other he, you've already uploaded the video to edit on your channel, click on yours photo in alto a destra (or onl'icona dell 'little man if you have not customized your account) and select the item Creator Studio, then click on the option Video management present in the sidebar on the left and presses the button Modification for the video to be edited.
Now, select the tab Improvements present at the top and presses the button Stabilize to eliminate video flicker. Instead, click on the button Automatic correction to automatically make improvements to the colors and brightness of the movie, while if you prefer to manage the improvements yourself, use the sliders under the items Saturation, Contrast, Fill light and Color temperature.
Finally, select the item filters to apply filters to the video that could further improve its quality, otherwise click the button Save to save the changes or Save as a new video to save the enhanced video without overwriting the original video.
Other online services to improve the quality of a video
Other than YouTube, unfortunately there aren't many other online services to improve the quality of a video and existing ones offer limited functionality. My advice, therefore, is to rely on other kinds of solutions, such as the programs I told you about in the previous paragraphs. However, if you want to know about other online solutions here are some that you can consider.
- Clipchamp: the ideal solution for those who want to improve the quality of their videos by changing the colors of the movie. In fact, Clipchamp is a free online editor that allows both to rotate and trim uploaded videos and to make numerous changes, such as adding text, filters and transactions. Requires registration.
App to improve the quality of a video
Did you record a video with your smartphone but it was unstable and would you like to improve it directly from your device? No problem: you can rely on app to improve video quality that allow you to stabilize your movies, improve their colors and much more. Here are some that you can consider.
- Adobe Premiere Clip (Android / iOS): is the mobile version of Adobe Premiere Pro, the video editing software I told you about in the previous paragraphs. In addition to allowing you to change the speed of your videos, apply fades and much more, it allows you to improve the quality of your videos by adjusting the exposure, shadows and highlights of the movie. It is free but requires registration.
- Emulsion (iOS): the ideal application for those who need to improve the quality of a video that has a flicker. With advanced stabilization techniques, it allows you to adjust the intensity of the stabilizer and see the comparison of the video before and after processing. In its free version, it applies a watermark to edited videos that can be removed with an in-app purchase of € 8,99.
- InShot (Android / iOS): is a good application to create videos using your mobile device. Among its features, it allows you to import movies and adjust their brightness, contrast, warmth, saturation, shadows, sharpness and much more. It also allows you to apply effects and filters.